Saratoga Springs Public Library
The Pitney Family, Jonathon and Mary Ann, originally settled in Saratoga Springs in the 1840’s where they engaged in farming and Mary Ann worked in a hotel. Their son Jerome V. Pitney expanded the farm to encompass 225 acres of land on the western edge of Saratoga and operated a successful dairy. He also had an airport on the property which serviced visitors to the area during the 1930’s and 1940’s. Area children flocked to play in the swimming holes during the summers.
Helen Pitney was born in Saratoga Springs in 1920 and graduated from Skidmore College in 1941. She passed in April, 2003.
Helen is shown here with her “Gang”- she is kneeling in front, on the right.